What you need to start weaning your baby
Your beautiful baby only needs breast milk or formula for the first 6 months of his life. Around 6 months of age you will start to wean your baby on to solids. Here's a list of what do you need to prepare for this exciting time in your baby’s life and to make a somewhat messy experience a little bit easier for you!
- Highchair – when your baby is able to sit unsupported, around 6 months, a highchair to keep your baby upright whilst feeding reduces the risk of choking. There are plenty out there – whether it be one with a tray, or one that slides under the table, or even a booster seat that attaches to a dining chair. We recommend the Baby Dan chair – here’s why
- Bibs – we’re not going to lie – bibs are not foolproof but they do protect most of your baby’s clothes from the mess that we can guarantee will occur. Ones with a lip to catch anything that the baby misses from their mouths are great. We recommend something soft so that they can sit comfortably with it. We recommend the Bibetta bibs with sleeves
- Bowls/plates – colourful and stylish bowls and plates that are resistant to breaking when dropped or flung will make weaning more fun for your little one. There are suction ones too that will resist movement from your child to reduce the likelihood of mess. We like to use plastic free dishes for our babies. See our collection here.
- Spoons – a small soft baby spoon is ideal to avoid injury to your baby’s delicate gums.
- Table/Placemat – a removable placemat or an easy wipe table cloth will make clearing up a little bit easier. You’ll regret it once you realise wiping off dried food is a nightmare. Our plastic free placemats are great – especially baby led weaning.
- Mess mat - guaranteed floor mess on your carpet/flooring can be saved with an easy wipe floor mat or the cleverly designed Tidy Tot.
Not essential but...
- Frozen food storage - batch make those meals for your little one to make life easier. Initially small freezer trays will be sufficient then storage pots as weaning progresses.
- Drinks bottle – you can introduce water to your baby once you start weaning – we love plastic free Pura bottles with a sippy lid that can be transitioned to a straw top when they’re ready
- Lunch bag - a cute cool bag to keep all you need for feeding out and about help you keep organised. Don’t forget to take spoons out with you.
- Snack pots - are great for fruit and small portions of food for when your little one cant’ wait for meal time.
Have a read of some real tips from parents on weaning