How to survive working full time and feeding the kids after work
As you all probably know I don’t love cooking but I do love good food and I always make sure the kids are fed a cooked meal before they go to sleep - perhaps unnecessary when they’re at nursery and they are fed 3 meals there - but I still think a full tummy may help them sleep better! One of my main anxieties about going back to work was having time to prepare a meal after I pick the boys up from nursery and fed, bathed, dressed, read to and in bed by 7.30!
These are some tips on how to feed your kids a healthy cooked meal after work without the stress.. A little preparation goes a long way!
1. Prep: On your days off, peel, chop or slice vegetables and store in an airtight container in the fridge ready to pick and choose what you need when you’re ready to cook.
2. Recipes: Have a list of recipes with quick cook healthy meals - share with your friends and you’ll have a library in no time.
3. Save: Batch cook and freeze meals, defrost overnight ready to simply heat when you get back.
4. Quick: Invest in a pressure cooker - this will save you at least half the cooking time.
5. Slow: Invest in a slow cooker - prepare in the morning and have delicious meals ready and waiting for when you arrive home.
6. Soak: Don’t forget to soak pots and pans as soon as you’ve used them - this will reduce the time you need to wash up.